School Safety Tips
Riding the Bus
- Have a safe place to wait for your bus, away from the street and traffic.
- Stay clear of the bus until it comes to a complete stop and the driver signals you to board.
- When exiting the bus, take ten big steps straight out from the bus to gain some distance.
- Use hand rails when boarding and unloading.
- Be aware of the street traffic around you at all times.
Walking and Biking to School
- Pay attention to the crossing guard at all times and never cross against a green light.
- Walk your bike through intersections.
- Walk with a buddy.
- Never assume traffic sees you.
Riding in a Car
- Yes...most accidents really do happen close to home.
- Safety belts are the best protection for passengers in a crash.
- Safety belts and car seats need to be secured properly to work.
- Tell your parents if you feel uncomfortable about someone's driving ability.