- Lateral Entry Police Officers
Lateral Entry Police Officers
- All lateral entry police officers (LEPOs) are subject to the same hiring process and must meet the same hiring requirements as all other police officer applicants.
- College credit hours requirement is waived for current and former law enforcement officers.
- Applicants must not turn 45 years of age before taking the civil service examination.
- Have worked for any law enforcement agency as a sworn police officer with powers of arrest in the United States or U.S. Territories.
- Must have 36 months certified law enforcement experience with any city, county or state law enforcement agency.
- Have not been separated as a police officer for more than four months prior to the date of application.
- No pending disciplinary actions or investigations for misconduct or criminal activity.
- Time served as a reserve officer or other type of unpaid peace officer will not be used to calculate an applicant's total time on active service for either qualification for the lateral entry program o r for computing compensation.
- Out of state LEPOs will complete the full Dallas Police Training Academy.
- The Commander of the Personnel Division determines whether any LEPO applicant meets the eligibility standards.
LEPOs are hired at the starting pay as follows:
Lateral Entry Police Officer
3 years' experience - $51,688.00
4 years' experience - $54,263.00
5/+ years' experience - $56,971.00