Instructions for Shoplift Case Filing
Retail Amount Stolen Less than $100 with Suspect in Custody
- If the amount of the theft is less than $100 and the arrestee has identification, Dallas Police will not routinely be dispatched to the business location.
- Persons wishing to prosecute the arrestee for shoplifting must complete the online form, "Municipal Prosecution Application for Complaint and Sworn Affidavit.
- Print and sign the affidavit and mail to City of Dallas Prosecutors Office at 2014 Main Street Room 206 Dallas, Texas 75201.
Retail Amount Stolen More than $100 with Suspect in Custody
Transporting Dallas Police Officers will take custody of the arrestee and the following evidence:
- If the business is going to prosecute the arrestee, contact 911 and request DPD patrol response.
- Complete Shoplift Affidavit Form. The fact witness must include his or her home address and cell phone on the Shoplift Affidavit Form.
- No Business Address or Business Phone number will be accepted as a substitute for the fact witness home address and phone.
- If video evidence of the offense was produced, a DVD copy must accompany the arrestee.
- If the video evidence is unavailable at the time of officers arrival, the business has 3 days to deliver a DVD copy to the nearest DPD substation investigative unit.
- Complete and sign the Shoplift Affidavit Form.
- Completed and signed Shoplift Affidavit with internal narrative.
- DVD copy of offense and software necessary to view offense if available.
- Store receipt showing the description and retail price (Do not include Tax) of the items stolen by the arrestee.
Report of Shoplift with No Suspect in Custody
- If a business wants to report a shoplift with viable suspect information, they must complete the "Misdemeanor Shoplift Report".
- Print and complete the form and mail it to Dallas Police Records Unit at 1400 S. Lamar Street Dallas, Texas 75215.