Claiming a Vehicle

The owner of an impounded vehicle must have the following items in order to claim a vehicle:

  1. State issued picture ID card (Consular Matricula from Mexico) or Driver's License*.
  2. Current automobile insurance*
  3. Certificate of Title or Bill of Sale
  4. If ownership has changed within the last 30 days, a copy of the computer registration printout from the Department of Motor Vehicles.

*Required if the citizen is wishing to drive the vehicle from the pound.

Other possible documents needed for release can be found at:



If someone other than the registered owner is claiming the vehicle, they must have:

  1. Notarized Authorization to Release (available at the Auto Pound)
  2. Personal Property Release from Lew Sterrett Justice Center
  3. Licensed Physician or RN certifying the owner is unable to sign a release due to illness or injury
  4. Legal Repossession Documents


Auto Pound Unit
1955 Vilbig Road
Dallas, TX 75208
Tel 214-670-5116
Fax 214-670-5179 ​​