The Nuisance Abatement Team forges vested partnerships with cooperative property owners to combat common and public nuisances. The utilization of criminal/civil statutes as well as local enforcement authority to compel uncooperative property owners to assist in the abatement of these nuisances. This program is designed to rehabilitate these properties and revitalize the affected community. Nuisance RISK Property Team requires property owners after notification of the existence of a nuisance, to demonstrate proactive management of their properties in the abatement effort. Uncooperative property owners face criminal/civil actions to repair, demolish, close or forfeit their interest in the property when the nuisance goes unabated. The ultimate goal is to eliminate criminal nuisances. The aggregate benefits are revitalized neighborhoods that are safer and cleaner places in which to live, work and visit.?
Chapter 125 of the Texas Civil Practices and Remedies Code defines a criminal nuisance as a person who maintains a place to which persons habitually go for the following purposes and who knowingly tolerates the activity and furthermore fails to make reasonable attempts to abate the activity maintains a common nuisance:
- Capital Murder or Murder
- Aggravated Sexual Assault or Sexual Assault
- Aggravated Robbery or Robbery
- Aggravated Assault
- Unlawfully Carrying a Weapon
- Discharge of a firearm in a public place or reckless discharge of a firearm;
- Engaging in organized criminal activity as a member of gang;
- Deliver, possession, manufacture, or use of a controlled substance;
- Gambling, promotion, or communicating gambling information;
- Prostitution, promotion, aggravated promotion, or compelling; or
- Commercial manufacture, distribution or exhibition of obscene material.