Asian American Unit
- The population of Asian Americans in Dallas is the seventeenth largest in all U.S. cities.
- The 2000 census estimates that approximately 35,000 people (or nearly 3% of the population) of Asian descent live in Dallas.
- Most Asian Americans live in the Northeast and Northwest Operations Divisions area.
- Police estimate that a high % of crime against Asian Americans goes unreported.
The Asian American Unit was developed in May of 1996 under the Office of Community Affairs and Employee Communications. The goal of this unit is to develop on-going programs that address specific concerns of neighborhoods made up primarily of refugees and immigrants from Asian countries. The Unit currently consists of Asian Representatives who are bilingual in Korean, Vietnamese, Filipino, and Tagalog.
For more than 15 years, the Office of Community Affairs has held an Asian Safety & Health Fair offering free services and information specifically targeting the Asian Community. This engagement utilizes Asian Dallas Police Officers from across the city to provide translation services and interaction opportunities to a variety of Asian attendees.
- Partner with various Asian and American groups, agencies and organizations.
- Assist the Dallas Police Department's staff in interpretation and translation.
- Encourage the Asian community to use 9-1-1 and report crime.
- Translate crime prevention material and other police information.
- Organize Asian business and neighborhood crime watch groups.
- Develop and administer programs for Asian citizens.