- Lateral Entry Police Officers
Lateral Entry Police Officers
*New Lateral Transfer Program*
***Out of State LEPOs must obtain their TCOLE License before they begin the DPD application process***
Out of State LEPOs can click below for more information from TCOLE on the licensing process
Step 1: Submission of the Civil Service Application and passing of Civil Service exam.
Step 2: Completion of Applicant Testing to include:
- Submission of Personal History Statement (PHS) and all applicable documents.
- Physical Readiness Evaluation (*Standards for LEPOs listed below)
- Applicant Interview Board (AIB)
- Polygraph Examination
- Background Investigation
- Psychological and Medical Exam
- Issuance of Conditional Offer of Employment
*LEPOs will take the Physical Readiness Evaluation and be graded at the following standard:
- Vertical Jump - 15" Minimum
- Bench Press - 63% of Body Weight (Body Weight X 0.63 = Weight Required To Lift)
- Illinois State Agility Run - 21.1 Seconds Maximum
- Situps - 30 Repetitions (60 Seconds Time Limit)
- 300 Meter Run - 80 Seconds Maximum
- Pushups - 18 Repetitions (No Time Limit)
- 1.5 Mile Run - 16 Minutes, 31 Seconds Maximum
LEPOs that complete the application process and are hired by the Dallas Police Department will participate in a 12 week condensed academy. The academy curriculum will include instruction on Dallas Police Department policy and procedures.
In the 10th week of the academy, LEPOs will be given a final Physical Readiness Evaluation. That evaluation will be graded at the following standard:
- Vertical Jump - 16.5" Minimum
- Bench Press - 70% of Body Weight (Body Weight X 0.70 = Weight Required To Lift)
- Illinois State Agility Run - 19.2 Seconds Maximum
- Situps - 33 Repetitions (60 Seconds Time Limit)
- 300 Meter Run - 73 Seconds Maximum
- Pushups - 20 Repetitions (No Time Limit)
- 1.5 Mile Run - 15 Minutes, 1 Second Maximum
This evaluation must be passed in order to graduate the academy.
LEPOs will begin their employment with the Dallas Police Department at a rate commiserate with their experience level. LEPOs will be compensated for up to 5 years of their previous experience.
This increased starting pay will begin on the date of hire.