All applicants for the position of Dallas Police Officer must meet the below qualifications:
- Must be a citizen of the United States.
- Must be a U. S. high school graduate or possess a G.E.D.
- Must be between 19 1/2 years of age and 44 years of age. Applicants must not turn 45 years of age before taking the civil service examination.
- Applicants that are 19 1/2 and 20 years of age must have a minimum of 60 semester college hours with a 2.0 GPA from an accredited college or university.
- Applicants between 21 and 44 years of age must have a minimum of 45 semester college hours with a 2.0 GPA from an accredited college or university.
- Remedial, developmental or repeated courses do not count towards the total college hours.
- Must have demonstrated safe driving habits and have a valid driver’s license.
Vision rating must be at least 20/100 in each eye and correctable to 20/20 in both eyes. The city of Dallas uses the Department of Transportation standard vision test. The exam includes moving your eyes left to right, up and down and able to see three different colors: red, yellow, and green (just like a stop light).
Must have normal hearing and normal color vision.
Must be certified by a City physician to be medically fit in accordance with state law, and must be certified by staff psychologist to be mentally fit in accordance with state law.
Must pass the physical fitness test.
Must be of excellent moral character.
*College or University must be accredited by one of the following:
- Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS-COC)
- Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE) (formerly Association of Schools and Colleges (MSA))
- Higher Learning Commission (formerly known as North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA))
- Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU)
- Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges (ACCJC-WASC) (formerly Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)) and Senior Colleges and Universities (WASC-Sr.)
- New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC-CIHE)
- Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools (TRACS)
- Association of Biblical Higher Education, Commission on Accreditation